Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day7

So I headed up to the Tri-cities this weekend and I must say, it was so relieving. It has been so long since Iv'e been there that I forgot how calm and chill it was. With Seattle being all hectic, it was nice to just kick back and spend some time with my parents and friends. Well, anyway, today I went to church not expecting anything because it was a KM service with English subs and usually I can't seem to pay attention but the message he gave just caught my attention. And so today I will hold off on Proverbs until tomorrow and discuss the passage spoken today.

Radical Love
Rev. Kwon Young Ko

Mark 1:40-45
-
I'm pretty sure people have heard this passage so many time but it's about the man with leprosy. He approaches Jesus and asks him if he is willing to make him clean. Then Jesus knowing that the man has leprosy reaches out his hand and touches him. The man was instantly cleansed of his disease from that moment. Back then people that had leprosy were considered unclean so everywhere they went they had to cover themselves with ragged clothes and shout "unclean." And of course, everyone that heard and saw the lepers, the "clean" would ostracise these people. I'm sure nobody even came close to them just because of this incurable disease that they had.

In reality we tend to ostracise certain groups of people, whether based on there marginal status in life or if they don't fit in our comfort zones, the same way the "clean" would ostracise the lepers. And who's to say that we are the "clean" ones? In God's point of view we are probably not any different than the lepers. We all have this incurable disease that we call sin. No matter how much we try to find a cure we won't be able to. We will always be unclean. This disease called sin will keep eating away at our skins until the day we die. The only way to fight this disease is to come forth and ask God just like the leper. Yes, we ask ourselves all the time why we help these people that always get under our skins or ignore/belittle our advices, but the plain simple answer is so that we can show them love like how Jesus showed his radical love to us. It was because of his grace that we were all saved regardless of how we all behaved. So as a servant of God we must continue to show his blessings and grace that he showed to us unto others. 
-

He said it better than that but it went something like that.

-Man, I don't know why but this sermon got me thinking. I don't actually think I have a problem excluding people but I do have problems not really caring. Either way both are bad. I know people that are excluded or ostracised because of certain reasons but I don't think much of it because it has nothing to do with me. I got to start showing some love and start caring more. It may not have nothing to do with me but what if it was me in that certain persons shoes? If I want to grow spiritually I have to start showing the radical love that Jesus showed to us. 


1 comment:

  1. Haha I think you're one of the best at these things, so I'm glad you're trying to get even better. It will only overflow unto other people :)

    ReplyDelete